Arthritis is a disease of the joint. Arthritis is a term for a class of diseases that cause pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints. It can affect people of all ages, genders and ethnic backgrounds.
There are many different types of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is one type, which develops in joints with overuse. Another type is rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease in which your immune system attacks your joints.
Luckily, there are foods found to be helpful in relieving the inflammation as a result of the arthritis.
Below are some of the foods that are helpful.
1. Fatty acid: Fatty fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, both of which may be beneficial for reducing inflammation and the severity of arthritis symptoms.
2. Garlic: Human and test-tube studies have found garlic may possess anti-inflammatory properties, and that eating it may be associated with a decreased risk of osteoarthritis.
3. Ginger: Ginger has been shown to reduce symptoms of arthritis. Test-tube and animal studies have also found it may decrease inflammation, but more research in humans is needed.
4. Broccoli: Broccoli has been associated with reduced inflammation. It also contains sulforaphane, which may have anti-inflammatory properties, according to test-tube studies. More research is needed to look at the effects of broccoli in humans.
5. Walnut: Walnuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which could alleviate arthritis symptoms as well as inflammation.
6. Berries: Berries contain antioxidants that have been shown to decrease arthritis-related inflammatory markers in test-tube and animal studies.
7. Spinach: Spinach is rich in antioxidants, including kaempferol. Test-tube studies have found that kaempferol can reduce inflammation and slow the progression of osteoarthritis.
8. Grapes: Grapes have anti-inflammatory properties and contain compounds that may help reduce inflammation. However, additional studies in humans are needed.
9. Olive oil: Olive oil has been shown to reduce inflammation and may be associated with a lower risk of arthritis. One animal study found that it may slow arthritis progression and ease symptoms.
10. Tart Cherry Juice: Studies show that tart cherry juice could lower inflammation and alleviate some symptoms of arthritis.