Smashing of ewedu (mallow leave), commonly called ijabe, is a commonly practice in Nigeria, especially among the locals.
A medical expert has warned against this long-practice technique.
Dr. Adegboyega Akere, a consultant gastroenterologist of the Department of Medicine, UCH, Ibadan has warned mothers and caterers to stop this old-age practice.
He told News Agency Of Nigeria in Ibadan on Wednesday that food handlers should always use blender when dealing with this kind of soup.
“They should not use broom to smash the vegetable, he added.
He said, ” When ewedu is smashed with broom, there is usually a splinter of it inside the soup, however minute. When consumed, the splinters from the broomstick tend to lodge in the walls of the stomach, oesophagus or intestines and will not digest.
He disclosed that someone who had eaten the soup containing a tiny piece of broomstick was rushed to the UCH recently.
“The broomstick settled in her intestine and did not digest. This resulted in the inflammation of the intestine.
“Two days after, the patient complained of severe stomach pains and a CT-Scan revealed that a broomstick was lodging inside her intestine.
“A surgical operation was carried out and in less than 24 hours, the patient was on her feet moving about.
“This clarion call is necessary because ewedu soup is the local soup of people in this part of Nigeria.
“The locals prefer it to any other soup; therefore, I will advise them to either blend or grind it on the stone before cooking,” he said.
Akere also warned that when someone ingests strange objects, they could develop gastroenterology-related diseases.
“Mothers must also be careful while preparing this soup, as it is the most common among the locals in weaning their babies,” he warned.
Culled from NAN